Cassandra’s Aikido Origin

Today I mopped the bathroom floor on my hands and knees, joyful to find myself in a familiar position, suwari-waza. It reminded me of New Year’s Eve and the feeling of my body sinking into suwari-waza after doing it for so, so long. When I bend over to pick up the unending pile of children’s toys off the floor I shift my weight as I tip to pick up the toy and let my back foot float up into the air – trying to remember ukemi in my body. A year ago I had no idea what a suwari-waza was – my best guess would be some type of sausage meat on a stick. And I had never heard of ukemi – which sounds like Japanese lipstick.
I met Galen & Hannah 7 years ago, when they moved onto my block, 3 houses down from me. And for years I never could remember the name of that thing that Galen was always going to. Aikodu, Akikiki, Aikido. Erik and Oscar joined East Lake Aikido when it opened. But I didn’t think it was for me. Last summer after running through a Mud Obstacle Course I went to ELA’s Open Street Event and for the first time thought – I could do this; it looks like good exercise and I always loved cartwheels as a kid. After a few kid’s classes, Galen encouraged me to join an adult class.
My first adult Aikido class was a Wednesday night. There were a million things I didn’t know, like how to tie my gi belt (which definitely fell off during my first class because I didn’t tie it correctly) or that I wore glasses and kept my hair up in pins (I quickly learned Aikido involves a lot of falling and my glasses and hair pins ended up on the mat). Now I wear contacts, hair binders and I have a tight gi belt – but I am far from understanding the flow or grasping the many metaphors Aikido offers. I loved Aikido right away. I still remember the move we did in my first class, a morotetori grab then each hand twists in a different direction so uke’s arms are in a S shape on their back – it was a very beautiful and mysterious move. I love the big circular movements in Aikido. I love that we roll and fall and joyfully get back up hundreds of times. I love that we wear white and are quiet and focused. I love that we care about each other on the mat and take time to match our partner and protect each other. I love the quiet concentration. I love the ancient wooden weapons. I think of Aikido as another language – and when we practice together it’s a conversation. I’m grateful to each of you for the gifts you bring to the mat and our community. I’m grateful for all the quiet and thoughtful work Hannah and Galen do. Thank you for sharing Aikido with me.

Comments